Background: The term universal precautions mean taking routine safe working practice to protect staff and patients from infection of blood and body fluids. Universal precaution where first officially recommended in 1987. At USA in 1990, the department of health expert advisory group on AIDS recommended the implementation of universal precautions1. Infection control refers to policies and procedures used to minimize the risk of spreading infections especially in hospitals and human or animal health care facilities.
Objectives: 1. To assess the knowledge with reference to Infection Control among registered nurses. 2. To assess the knowledge with reference to Universal Precautions among registered nurses. 3. To assess the knowledge about practice with reference to universal precautions as infection control measures among the Registered nurses. 4. To find out the association between levels of knowledge about universal precaution as infection control measures among Registered nurses working in selected hospitals with reference to selected demographic variables. Material and Methods: Descriptive survey approach to assess the existing knowledge with reference to universal precaution as infection control measures, among the registered nurses working in selected hospital at urban area. Results: The demographic variable with their results comprised majority of (80%) registered nurses were between 21-30 years of age, (15%) of them were in age of 31- 40 years and (5%) were in the age of 41-50 years. Majority (85%) of the registered nurses are females. Highest (53.33%) of the registered nurses were undergone ANM course. Majority of the registered nurses had less than ten year’s experience (80%).
Cite this article:
Melisa Leo Fernandes. A study to Assess the Knowledge with Reference to Universal Precaution as Infection control Measures among the Registered Nurses working in selected Hospital at Urban area. A and V Pub Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2023; 2(3):63-5. doi: 10.52711/jnmr.2023.16
Melisa Leo Fernandes. A study to Assess the Knowledge with Reference to Universal Precaution as Infection control Measures among the Registered Nurses working in selected Hospital at Urban area. A and V Pub Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2023; 2(3):63-5. doi: 10.52711/jnmr.2023.16 Available on: https://jnmronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-2-3-2
1. Boskey E, The Purpose of Universal Precaution, Verywealth.com/ Universal Precaution-3132819
2. Pratheeksha R. A Study to assess knowledge regarding standard precautions among neuronurses. Trivendrum. Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Science and Technology. 2010; Available from: www.dspace.sctimst.ac.bitstream/handle/123456789/1584/308.pdf
3. Baveja C.P. Textbook of Microbiology for Nursing 4th edition. New Delhi; ARYA Publishing Company; 2014
4. Devaliyal J.J. A study on knowledge, attitude and practice of universal precautions in the nursing staff of Tertiary care hospital, Scholers Journal of Applied Medical Sciences.2016;4(7A):2368-2371, DOI:10:21276/sjams, 2016.4.7.13.
5. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc 507413