Tracheostomy is one of the very familiar procedures performed in patients with compromised airway function. Professional nurses are required to perform tracheostomy according to standard procedures to prevent complications and promote recovery. The primary objective of the study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the Structured Teaching Program (STP) on knowledge and practice related to tracheostomy in LHDM staff nurses. Dr.Prem General Hospital in Panipat, Haryana. This study used a pre-trial approach (one group before trial, design after trial) and the researcher selected 50 nursing staff from selected hospitals in Panipat, Haryana. Samples were selected using convenience sampling technique. The data collection tool was a structured knowledge questionnaire about endotracheal aspiration care that was used as the data collection tool. On day one, the researcher collects pre-test data, then a structured curriculum is introduced, and a post-test knowledge assessment is performed on the seventh day. Data analysis was performed with descriptive and inferential statistics such as chi-square analysis and “t” test. The results of the study demonstrated a significant increase in post-test knowledge after the management of the informational dataset. (p < 0.01). Practice was significantly improved after showing a PPT video related to tracheostomy (p < 0.001). No statistically significant association was found between pre-test knowledge and practice and certain sociodemographic variables. No significant correlation was found between knowledge and practice.
Cite this article:
Khushbu, Sathish Rajamani. Efficacy of Structured Teaching Program on Knowledge And Practice Regarding Endotracheal Suctioning Amongst Staff Nurses – A Quasi-Experimental Approach. A and V Pub Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2022; 1(1):1-4 doi: 10.52711/jnmr.2022.01
Khushbu, Sathish Rajamani. Efficacy of Structured Teaching Program on Knowledge And Practice Regarding Endotracheal Suctioning Amongst Staff Nurses – A Quasi-Experimental Approach. A and V Pub Journal of Nursing and Medical Research. 2022; 1(1):1-4 doi: 10.52711/jnmr.2022.01 Available on: https://jnmronline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-1-1-1
1. Day T, Wainwright PS, Barnett WJ. Endotracheal suctioning in intensive care units. J linNurs. 2001;10(5):682–696.
2. Spears N, Cook N, Garcia K. Instillation of Normal Saline in Endotracheal Suctioning. Pharm Nurs Student Res Evidence-Based Med Poster Sess Pap 15 [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2015 Jan 4]
3. Jansson M, Ala-Kokko T, Ylipalosaari P, Kyngäs H. Evaluation of endotracheal- suctioning practices of critical-care nurses–An observational correlation study. J NursEducPract [Internet]. 2013 Jan 14 [cited 2014 Dec 17];3(7):99–105.
4. Favretto DO, Silveira RC, Canini SR, Garbin LM, Martins FT DM. Endotracheal Suction in Intubated Critically Ill Adult Patients Undergoing Mechanical Ventilation: A Systematic Rewiew. Rev Lat Am Enferm. 2012;20(5):997–1007.
5. Morrow, Brenda M. PhD; Argent ACFcpS. A comprehensive review of pediatric endotracheal suctioning: Effects, indications, and clinical practice. BJU International. 2008. p. 465–77.
6. Royal University Hospital, Saskatoon City Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital. Suctioning– Pediatric / Neonate Patients Ventilated (Conventional and High Frequency) Via Artificial Airways. 2017.
7. Haghighat S, Yazdannik A. The practice of intensive care nurses using the closed suctioning system: An observational study. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res [Internet]. 2015;20(5):619–25.
8. Gaterega T, Mwiseneza M-J, Chironda G. Nurses knowledge and practices regarding tracheostomy care at a selected referral hospital in Rwanda – A descriptive cross- sectional study. International Journal of Africa Nursing Sciences. 2021 Jan 1; 15:100350.
9. Freeman BD, Morris PE. Tracheostomy practice in adults with acute respiratory failure. Critical Care Medicine. 2012 Oct;40(10):2890–6.
10. Parihar, Raju, Effectiveness of planned teaching programme on the knowledge of endotracheal suctioning among staff nurses working in ICU. Baba Farid University Nursing Journal, Volume 8, Number 1, June 2015. P. 63 – 67.
11. BJ Ancy Ramesh, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR). Abstract of Efficacy of Planned Teaching on Knowledge Regardin. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) [Internet]. [cited 2021 Nov 8]; Available from: https://www.ijsr.net/